‘Cause sometimes you just need to sing.
1. Hairspray – Did everyone see Hairspray? Oh. My. God. That movie is my life. Every morning I wake up and the music starts in my head, and I sing through my day, annoying everyone. But I can’t help it. I’ve got music in my soul.
Good morning, Portland, Maine! I just might be insane! Because I sing my words. Accompanied by birds.
2. The Sound Of Music – This is my favorite song in the movie. It is full of hope and wonder. In the course of just a few minutes Maria moves from frightened nun to confident and strong young woman. Just like me!
3. Rent – This is what I imagine my college years were like. Even though they were not at all like this. I was never this cool. Sigh.
4. Cabaret – Mein Herr. Liza sings to some German guy, about how slutty she is. She’s a slute. It’s very very Fosse! Plus, Miz Minelli has never looked as good as she does here.
5. Chicago – Catherine Zeta sings. She dances. And she’s pregnant! And she’s just committed murder. Truly excellent.
6. Xanadu – Come on. You knew it had to be here. Is there any happier thing than 80s Olivia?
As a bonus, here is a mixtape of these songs, so you can hear how good they really sound!