Here’s a little slice of blocked arteries!
On Sunday my beautiful mother turned 59 years old. We celebrated at Chez Chris2fer with a homemade dinner with the fam. I decided to splurge and make Scallops Carbonara, and Mom asked for a raspberry chocolate cake. Yes, we couldn’t eat for a couple days due to the amazing amount of calories that we ingested, but it was totally worth it!
6 slices of Bacon, diced
1 lb medium Scallops
1 tbsp Butter
1 Shallot, finely diced
1 Spoon of chopped Garlic
1 cup Mushrooms, sliced
½ cup frozen Peas
2 cups Heavy Cream (1 pint)
1/2 cup White Wine or Chicken Stock
1 lb Penne Pasta
2 Eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or Pecorino Romano blend)
Freshly cracked Pepper.
Flour, for dredging
This is my favorite measuring container. I use it always. ALWAYS.
1. Chop the bacon into strips. Place the chopped bacon into a pan and cook until it just starts to turn crispy.
2. Dredge scallops in flour.
4. Place the scallops in the pan with the bacon and cook , turning them once, until the scallops start to crack around the edges and are almost cooked through, about 5 minutes.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove all the scallops to a plate. Leave the bacon in the pan.
6. Add the butter, shallots, garlic, and mushrooms to the pan and cook until the shallots are soft and the mushrooms are just starting to turn brown.
7. Add the wine (or chicken stock) and bring to a simmer to deglaze the pan.
8. Add the cream and the peas. Cook until the mixture is reduced to your desired thickness.
I doubled the recipe, and it was too much. I had to use a wok to hold it all.
9. Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente.
10. Drain well and add to the pan with the cream sauce. Toss to coat well. Reduce the heat to low and continue to toss the pasta with the sauce until the pasta is well coated.
11. Add the beaten eggs and continue to toss.
12. Add the cheese, bacon and scallops back in.
13. Season the dish with freshly cracked pepper.
So so good. Sister Kristin made that amazing salad!
Now, for the cake, simply buy and bake a Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Cake. Cool it completely.
On the stove, melt 1 jar of Polaner All Fruit Jelly, Seedless Raspberry flavor in a pot.
Once the cake is cooled, poke holes in it with the handle of a wooden spoon. Pour the melted jelly all over the cake. Allow it to cool once again.
Shiny and rich…
Heat 1 can of frosting in the microwave for about 20 seconds. You don’t want it liquid, just very spreadable.
Frost the cake.
Eat it. Mmm.
Happy Birthday, Mom!