Last night we quiched. Oh, how we quiched.
7 slices Bacon (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
1 cup shredded Cheese (4 oz)
1 medium Onion
1/2 bunch of Asparagus
4 large Eggs
2 cups Half-and-Half or whipping Cream or fatty Milk product
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
1 Pie Shell (just the bottom)
1. Prepare shell as required per package. First, I pinch it all around to make it pretty. Then, I pre-bake it for 7 minutes so it doesn’t get that gooey bottom consistency. Nothing sucks like a gooey bottom.
2. Re-Set Oven to 325 (after baking the crust)
4. Shred cheese (if needed). I used a mix of Asiago, Romano and Parmesan that I bought pre-shredded at the store.
5. Cook onion in bacon grease until brown and caramelized.
6. Chop Asparagus up into smallish sizes. Blanch it. (That means boil it for 5 minutes or so). It could also mean to be elderly and slutty (hello, Golden Girls).
7. Place asparagus, bacon, onions and cheese into shell.
8. Mix together remaining ingredients (eggs, cream, salt, pepper).
9. Pour said mixture into shell over all your other goodness.
10. Bake 50 minutes to an hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. If the pie crust is getting too brown, put some tin foil around it.
11. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
I also made some potatoes… and here’s my little secret…
Cut them up (that’s not the secret).
Put them into a plastic bag. Pour a glug or two of olive oil into the bag (also, not the secret, but a good tip nonetheless).
This is the secret… you shake on chicken bouillon and grill mates. The bouillon gives a good flavor, and it adds a nice saltiness. The grill mates are herby and delicious.
See? Now, you bake the hell out of them.
And what did you have for dinner?