The Scarecrow is dead…
Hmm. It feels a little disingenuous to write about Mr. Jackson passing away. The man has become such an extreme caricature of himself (and, let’s face it, of LaToya) for what is approaching 20 years now that anything like a sincere eulogy is a little fake. On the other hand, he did provide much of the music of my youth, and his good songs really do hold up to the test of time.
In that light…
The Top 10 Michael Jackson songs of all time
10. Scream – My friend Dexter loved this song. A brilliant duet with Janet.
9. Smooth Criminal – Remember the video? When he was standing and then tilted over but didn’t fall? Awesome. Also: “Annie, Are you ok?”
8. Thriller – Go to Youtube, look up “Thriller dance” and glory in the fact that hundreds of people learned this dance and still do it at weddings and in prison.
7. Billie Jean – I want a floor that lights up when I step on it, in time to the music in my mind.
6. Man In The Mirror – An exceptional song about working to make the world a better place by looking inward.
5. Wanna Be Starting Something – Ma Ma Se Ma Ma Sa Ma Ma Coo Sa.
4. Remember The Time – My friend Amy loved this song. I remember we waited up to see the video premier on MTV. Starring Eddie Murphy. It was terrible. But the song was great!
3. Black or White – Aside from the stupid introduction (Ok, Eat this!) this was an amazing song, and even more amazing video.
2. The Way You Make Me Feel – Classic 80s pop at it’s finest.
1. Rock With You – Go find this and listen. You will feel the need to dance. Do.
“And when the groove is dead and gone,
You know that Love survives
So we can rock, forever…”